Thread: Dual Sony Camera Trap

Dual Sony Camera Trap

This trap contains two Sony a5000 cameras. One has been modified to respond to infrared light. The dual controllers enable the photographer to set each cameras parameters separately. One camera can be video and the other stills or vice versa. Both controllers share one passive IR motion sensor.

20180221155844-24adc755-me.jpg

The box to the right is a infrared flood light activated by the controller that is connected to the IR camera. The IR light source is activated when motion is detected and stays activated as long as the IR camera is recording.

wake up time?

Hi Jeff,
    I like to build up a camera trap with a sony a6000 for stills. My doubts with this camera is the "long" wake-up time from about 1-1.5sec. Can you solve this problem, or do I have to live with this "issue" & maybe look for another camera?
    Thanks & regards
    Matt

Hi Matt .......Thanks for joining the forum.

The a6000 is a great camera but it's like most other mirrorless cameras, it will take almost two seconds after motion detection to acquire an image or start video. There is no way around it as far as I know. To help accommodate this you can place remote motion sensors away from the camera to hopefully wake the camera before the animal gets to your target area. If you are looking for quick wake up a DSLR is hard to beat.

Hi Jeff,
    Thanks for your fast reply & really appreciate your work! So as already guessed I‘ll end up buying a cheap canon or nikon dslr. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by matteo View Post
    Hi Jeff,
    Thanks for your fast reply & really appreciate your work! So as already guessed I‘ll end up buying a cheap canon or nikon dslr. :-)
    The Canon Rebel series is one of the more popular camera trap cameras. It's been around a long time and are cheap on the used market. Lens selection is very good.

Good luck with your build. Post the results here.